Brief Pros and Cons of Hola VPN –
- Freemium service.
- Very good speed rates.
- Unblocks major streaming channels.
- Supports a majority of platforms.
- Collects user data.
- Doesn’t use encryption (Not a VPN)
- IP leaks were recorded.
- It doesn’t support torrenting.
- Users get to use each other’s connection and IP address.
- Not recommended by experts.
- Expensive premium plan.
- Very bad support system.
- Sells user bandwidth.
It is increasingly common to see how users worry about their privacy, although the number is very low compared to all those who still do not care about the treatment that large companies do of their data. However, it’s not just big platforms that are data sinks.
Internet providers keep track of all our activity, a record that can later be marketed to focus advertising on the user related to a specific IP, a geographical area… The fastest and easiest solution to protect our browsing data goes through a VPN.
Among large number of VPN options on the market, both free and paid, we have Hola VPN– one of the services that offer the best value for money. Before talking about Hola VPN, we need to know what a VPN is and what they are for besides protecting our anonymity on the internet.
What is VPN?
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. As its name describes well, a VPN is a private and encrypted end-to-end communication network between us and the VPN provider’s servers so that no one can access it. It will not even be detected by our ISP so that no one can store a record of our internet activity.
Let’s explain it with an example. If you don’t use a VPN, your Internet provider knows that you have reached this page. However, if you use a VPN, your IPS cannot see that information. It does not have access to the traffic you generate through the internet.
What is Hola VPN?
Hola is an extension for Google Chrome that will allow you to access blocked or censored websites in your country, your company, or your school. It is a free service free, and it does not contain advertising.
When the Hola browser extension is installed on your computer, you just need to select the extension icon and select the country for which you want to join the website. It will bypass the restriction imposed by the place from which you connect.
How Hola VPN works
Regardless of the device where we install Hola VPN, the operation is always the same. We just have to select the country that we want to connect to.
If we want to access Netflix content in the United States, we must select this country so that all available Netflix content in this country is shown. The same happens with HBO, Prime Video, YouTube, Hulu…
Supported platforms for Hola VPN
Hola VPN is compatible with Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Opera browsers through an extension. It will also work with Android, iOS, macOS, Linux, Windows, Xbox, Playstation, Apple TV, Smart TV, Android TV, and Fire TV.
Now coming to our highlighted topic…
Cons of Hola VPN
Hola presents a series of very notable drawbacks. Among them, we can highlight some that are the least liked by their users.
- Use User’s Hardware –It will route traffic through the users’ nodes, with 115 million users using the service. Therefore, Hola will use a portion of each user’s hardware resources, but only when they are idle.
It generates some problems that have displeased many users (with a free account) since they were transformed into exit nodes. So other users could use their bandwidth to carry out activities of all kinds, including illegal ones (see the attack suffered to this service, now solved).
- Not Works in Netflix – On the other hand, Hola is not your service if you are looking for a VPN that performs well with Netflix. So if you are thinking of unblocking content from this specific streaming platform, you’d better choose another VPN.
- Not Guaranteed for 100% Protection – Remember that using the Hola extension for your browser will only protect traffic through the web browser, not from other programs running on your browser.
- Delayed Technical Support for Free Users – As for its technical support, the truth is that if you are Premium, you will have advantages, but if you are a free user, do not expect a quick response through the contact email. It may take days to reply.
- Share Your Hardware With a Free Plan – Of course, Hola has a free service, but you automatically become a peer on the network in that case. That is, your resources will be used for other users on the web. This is also the case in some VPN services that offer free access. They use your bandwidth to deliver it to premium users who have paid.
Therefore, it is not exclusive to Hola. But if you want to avoid that, you can access the paid service with lot more advantages.
Pros of Hola VPN
- More Anonymous and Secure –Not everything is negative, since being a distributed service, such as a P2P network, makes the traffic routed through it more anonymous and secure than when using servers where part of the activity is saved.
- Independently Choose IP –Also, when you try Hola, you realize that it is a service that works very well when it comes to unblocking services and websites with geographical restrictions, such as the BBC’s iPlayer. In fact, Hola allows you to choose the IPof the country with which you want to access the internet.
- Easy to Use – It also stands out for its simplicity of installation and use. So it could be a good alternative for new users. You just have to use its web browser extension, compatible with Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Microsoft IE / Edge, and Opera.
- Find it Almost all Platforms –Not only it can work on all the operating systems compatible with those browsers, but you can also find an app in Google Play and the App Store to make it work on mobile devices with Android and iOS, respectively. Therefore, the compatibility is excellent.
- Connect more than one device at a time – In one case, as in the other, if you are registered in Hola, you will access the network and connect to more than one device simultaneously. Something that is also welcome news. Remember that many free VPNs do not support more than one at a time.
- Hola’s highest Premium planoffers high speed, unlimited data, no data records, up to 10 devices simultaneously, email support, and excellent security with its robust encryption. With servers in more than 200 countries and exceeding 5000, as well as 10,000,000 IPs.
- And to conclude with its benefits, Hola also offers its own multimedia playerto view multimedia content over the internet quickly and reliably.
Analysis and Characteristics of Hola VPN
Hola VPN has many features that you should take into account so that you know how efficiently this provider works. Each feature is important, so we must show you below:
- Ease of Use
Using Hola VPN is very simple. You just click on its icon and then select the country from where you want to access contents. Immediately, it will change your IP address to the country you have chosen to hide the real one.
Every time you want to check the features of Hola VPN with free service, you can go to an IP locator and thus verify that your IP belongs to the country you have selected.
- Available Countries
It allows you to have a connection with about 5000 servers in approximately 200 countries. Some of them are Australia, Spain, Italy, France, Israel, the Netherlands, Germany, the United States, and Canada.
It offers a varied application for wide devices, including Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android, as well as add-ons for Firefox and Chrome. This is a universal and convenient solution.
- Available Services
It is more like a Proxy than a VPN since it is a service that you can use to access the various sites using another IP. However, it does not have the encryption advantages as other services.
Hola VPN has good reviews about privacy since it is a service that has a secure SSL tunnel. However, not all your traffic is routed through this VPN because it does so through remote servers hiding the real IP to access sites in other countries.
The paid version offers better features as it is a VPN using IKEv2 / IPSec with AES 256-bit encryption. This means that it is a VPN that provides a high level of security, while the free version only removes geographical restrictions.
- Quality of Support
In the free version VPN with multiple servers, you can connect with their technical support team through their email. However, many users have expressed unfavorable opinions since it is a service without an immediate response.
If you use this service for commercial purposes, you have a better chance of support where you can enter by logging into its official website. On their page, you can find some guides, and many frequently asked questions.
- Netflix and Torrenting With Hola VPN
Unfortunately, Hola VPN doesn’t allow torrenting, so you cannot use it to share your files. Despite this, it is a good tool since it is a VPN that will enable you to unblock access to different services, except Netflix. Despite this, it is a good tool since it is a VPN that allows you to unblock access to various services, except Netflix.
Hola VPN, with many servers, allows you to stream compatible and popular platforms such as Amazon, HBO, Hulu, YouTube, and BBC, but it cannot unblock Netflix as it happens in most VPNs.
It has fairly fast service, and it is also very easy to download and install to get it up and running. In addition, it has technical assistance so that you can clarify your doubts through your email and a session of FAQs.
It offers security when browsing the internet and protects your safety wherever you are. With this VPN, you have the support of being able to be connected on ten devices at the same time in its paid version.
But, obviously, any free thing is not good at some point. Use it carefully!